Nina Rogoff's Insights on Sharon Real Estate and More!

Keep Your Family Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning...It's Simple

My colleague, Debbie Laity, the outstanding broker from Montrose and Delta Counties, Colorado wrote a great post about the importance of using carbon monoxide detectors in your home. As Debbie mentions in her post below, it's a good time to check to make sure that your carbon monoxide detectors are working.

It's the law in Massachusetts that a seller must get their local Fire Department to inspect the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, and issue a certificate showing that they meet the requirements of the law. If you've been living in your home for some years, check and make sure your detectors are still in good operating condition and that they meet the current requirements. The laws have changed several times in the past two years.

If you have questions, call your local Fire Department to find out where they should be located and what kind of detectors you should have!

Nina Rogoff, Your Hometown Realtor in Sharon MA

Keep Your Family Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning...It's Simple It's that time of the year when the temperature is dropping and it's time to start running the heat. If you have a heater that runs on any type of fuel, then you should install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Fuel fired furnaces includes anything that runs on natural gas, propane, kerosene and even wood burning stoves. The detectors are inexpensive and could save you, and your family's life.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. The best way to protect your family is to install a CO detector. In Colorado it's a state law that all homes marketed for sale, and rental properties, must have a CO detector. This law went into effect in July of 2009.

Here are some simple things you can do to protect your family.

Keep Your Family Safe from Carbon Monoxide PoisoningI've already mentioned installing a CO detector. This will let you know if there is a problem. Remember carbon monoxide is odorless and you won't be able to see it or smell it.

Do not use a BBQ grill indoors.

Do not block or seal off any exhaust vents, flues or ducts for your appliances like water heaters, ranges and dryers.

Make sure the door on your woodstove closes correctly, and that your stove and fireplace have pipes that are the proper size with no leaks.

Do not use gas or kerosene appliances with adequate ventilation.

Unless you are a qualified repair person...don't work on your furnace yourself.

Don't let your car run in an enclosed area like your garage without some ventilation.

If you are buying a house...make sure it already has a CO detector. Remember it's the law in Colorado. You and your real estate agent should make sure there is one in place. It's an easy enough fix if one isn't there. Just buy one. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind and the safety of your family.

 I've lived on Colorado's Western Slope for over 22 years. I love this area and all it has to offer, and I enjoy sharing what I know about my home. As a REALTOR®, I also love to share my expertise in this area as well. If you need any real estate information for Montrose County, or Delta County, Colorado...please give me a call.

 

**********************************************************

 

***********************************************************

Cedaredge Land Company Website

Facebook

Google Plus

 

Nina Rogoff Signature Block 2

1 commentNina Rogoff • October 22 2013 01:36PM

Comments

Hi, Nina...thanks so much for the reblog. That is awesome. Have a wonderful day.

Posted by Debbie Laity, Your Real Estate Resource for Delta County, CO (Cedaredge Land Company) about 1 year ago

Participate